Sunday, April 19, 2009
buy & eat local
8 Ways to Join the Local Food Movement
By Sarah van Gelder, YES! Magazine. Posted April 1, 2009.
1. From Lawn to Lunchas, as soon as i have land for a lawn, it will be a garden, though i usually have one where i'm renting. it's possible, but difficult when you're constantly moving.
2. Eat Your Vegetables, well, i'm vegan.
3. Party with Your Preserves, a can swapping party sounds like fun. i'll have to try this. plus i'd like to get a preserving the harvest party going as soon as i have a 'lawn'.
4. Glean Those Fields Clean, i'll have to look into gleaning.
5. Shop Outside of Supermarkets, we have a great farmer's market here, & there's numerous other markets that sell local produce.
6. Start a Community Garden, as soon as i get back from overseas. while i'm gone, i'll probably have a window garden to share with the neighbours.
7. Plant a Row for the Hungry, as soon as i plant a garden.
8. Share Your Table, this is something i do with frequency. i love to cook for others & share a meal.
Gleaning, collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest.